That’s probably a bit too much for some people, especially as it’s quite time-consuming and hardly the most interesting of tasks. But I’ve enjoyed it as it’s helped me understand what’s working and what’s isn’t.
The 80 Day Obsession programme is an online workout available to stream via Beachbody on Demand. It’s available on PC, Mac, phone and tablet via a browser or app. A series of 7 new workouts are released for the week ahead each Sunday, but they are generally the same except that the reps are increased as are the actual weights you lift each time.
The workouts tackle different muscle groups each day, which is ideal as it allows reasonable time for recovery in between. They are titled Booty, Cardio Core, Total Body Core, Legs, AAA and Cardio Flow. I am really into the exercises that use the sliders. Think of them as plates you stand on and slide around on the floor with. Imagine doing mountain climbers on the floor and pulling your legs in on the sliders. You feel the tension in your abs for sure, burning away, but I love it. There are also resistance loops which are placed around your feet, legs or thighs to add extra tension during certain workouts. I’ve doubled and tripled up on the bands at times, and I have to say the tension in my butt cheeks is unbearable at times, but that’s how I know it’s working.
With this workout programme, you eat 5 small meals a day all of which are spaced 2 to 3 hours apart. The eating plan explains what type of foods you should eat per meal, such as proteins, carbs, vegetables, fruits, healthy fats and seeds. You then choose what ingredients you like off each list and make up a meal of your choice.
I’ve been having eggs and tomatoes for breakfast along with either an orange, grapes or banana. My second meal of the day is around 10:30am and is always a sandwich of some kind, such as pork, ham or turkey with salad such as lettuce, tomatoes and onions. I’m drinking water throughout the day but without lemons because my dentist has advised against this. I will drink a couple of cups of tea in the evenings only, and with only one sweetener and now with soya milk.
My next meal is around 1pm and is my biggest meal of the day, and my 4pm “meal” is actually a healthy shake of some kind with protein powder, coconut milk, a few scoops of fat-free yoghurt, oats and a banana. This is my pre-workout meal as I tend to workout an hour later. My final meal of the day is lighter and is usually eaten around 7-8pm. It usually consists of steak with onions, broccoli and asparagus, and sometimes eggs.
This kind of meal plan isn’t as hard as you may think, because I’m only eating the foods I love. I’m not being forced to eat things I hate at all. It’s allowing me to get creative with my ingredients and invent meals I’ve never tried before. My favourite at the moment is Chris’s Cheesy Chorizo Chicken! Quite a mouthful…. in many ways. Loads of ingredients, but I’m careful with the portion sizes.
Chris’s Cheesy Chorizo Chicken
- Take a chicken fillet and stir occasionally in the frying pan
- Add a few sprinkles of basil, chives and garlic powder
- Add a handful of spinach
- Stir in some chopped cherry tomatoes, onion and peppers
- Chuck in 2 or 3 jalapeños and 2 slices of chorizo
- Sprinkle a small amount of cheddar cheese over the chicken
- Put on a plate and eat the lot!
The Results Are In
I have just completed phase 1 of 80 Day Obsession which is essentially the first four weeks. The next four weeks make up the slightly harder phase 2, and then five weeks later it’s goodbye to phase 3 and the entire workout programme.
When I started on this fitness journey in August 2016 my stats were as follows:
- I weighed 231lbs, which is 16 1/2 stone
- I had 17.1% body fat
- My BMI was 33.1
- Muscle mass was 130lbs
- My chest was 44”
- I had a 45” waist
- My neck measured 18.5”
When I started 80 Day Obsession four weeks ago my stats were:
- I weigh 183.8 lbs (I had actually gained around 4 lbs over Xmas!)
- My body fat was 15.6%
- BMI down to 26.3
- Muscle mass now 142.4lbs
- Chest down to 41”
- Waist down to 40”
- Neck down to 16”
Today, my stats are:
- I weigh 178.8 lbs, which is a loss of 5 lbs since I started 80 Day Obsession just four weeks ago, but a total loss of 52 pounds since I started to keep fit!
- My body fat is 13.9%, a loss of around 2% in 4 weeks
- My BMI is now 25.9 – down from 26.3 when I started on 80DO and from 33.1 when I started to keep fit
- Muscle Mass is 139.8, which is odd as it seems to be bouncing around the 139-141 mark.
- My chest is now around 39” – a loss of two inches in four weeks and five inches overall
- My waist is now 37” – a loss of three inches in four weeks, and a massive 8 inches since I started on my fitness journey
- I’ve lost half an inch off my neck, making it a total of 3 inches in total